Linda's Granny Page

Friday, February 23, 2007

Letting Go Can Be Difficult

Yes, it's been a while. A lot has happened. But as usual, when I have something to say, which isn't very often, I do blog about it. Here goes:

Yes, it's a lesson all of us have to learn at some point in our lives. But that still doesn't make it any easier.

With recent events, I have been thinking about this subject for a few weeks. And yes, I've tried to put it off as long as I could. But time is growing short. Which means it will soon be time to "face the music."

I will be signing papers at the closing of selling Mom's house, tentatively on Monday. In the last few weeks, we packed up most everything in the house for her to move to another state. Then I was left with the job of going through what was left.

It was interesting, some of the things that I found, things that had been stuck away and forgotten about. And seeing the house empty is something I had not seen before. Mom and Dad bought the house when it was built in 1947 and lived there ever since. Daddy passed away in 2003 and Mom stayed in the house, by herself.

Mom is very small, petite and a little frail. She weighs 80-85 lbs. and has been diagnosed with COPD. She has allergies all the time, has a hard time coping with the cold weather, and likes being on her own. She never worked outside the home and never learned to drive, so she has had to depend on other people for her transportation to the grocery store, church, doctor appointments, etc. Other than that, she didn't go a lot of places.

Walking through the empty house brings back a lot of memories. So it's bittersweet. I keep telling myself that if Mom can let go after 50+ years, then I can, too. When I think that someone else will be living in the house that I grew up in and have continued to visit throughout my married life, is hard to fathom.

At the same time, I hope that the new occupants will be happy in the small but roomy house that is 60 years old. It needs a little work, but is in pretty good shape for its age.

There have been a lot of good times in that house, along with some tough times, as can be expected. As I get older, I realize how things are changing. It's hard to put into words. I'm not getting any younger, but getting older, day by day. Our kids are turning into adults, ages 25 and 20. When I think that I graduated from high school 36 years ago, that makes me feel old! But they say you're only as young as you feel. Right?!

I guess each one of us comes to this realization sooner or later.

Well, I guess that's enough reminiscing for now. I wanted to get my thoughts written down so I could share them. I feel privileged, in some way, because of the longevity of living in one place--I have lived in the same town all my life; been on the same job for 25 years; I have been married to the same man for 28 years. I know that's somewhat of a rarity in this day and age. I also feel like I have missed out, not living anywhere else. I've visited places on vacation and such, but I do feel I have missed something by not living someplace other than where I was born and grew up.

The day is coming closer when Mom won't be with us anymore, but for now, we'll do what we can to help her. I'm hoping she's happy, settling into her new surroundings in a new town and a different state.

I tried to stay on the subject, but I realize I rambled a bit. That's why I wrote it out first, to get my thoughts together.

I don't know if anyone will read this outside of family, but i have said my piece.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home