Linda's Granny Page

Friday, June 09, 2006

Slow Down!

OK, here we go! This is about one of my pet peeves.

Since school is out, traffic is lighter, and since the Coors & I-40 interchange is done, and since they are working on the Fourth St. and Montano intersection, I've started going to work on the freeway. It only takes me 25-30 minutes, where on Montano, it would take me 40-45 minutes.

What is it that most people don't understand about a speed LIMIT? Emphasis on LIMIT. That doesn't mean you have to go at least that, there is a minimum, I think, of 40 or 45 MPH. The posted speed LIMIT is 65 MPH. I generally drive 5 MPH over the speed LIMIT, but most people drive 10 or 15 MPH OVER the speed LIMIT. And that's not just on the freeway, it's also on city streets!

I was in the fast lane this morning, trying to get around the slowdown that always occurs from cars wanting to take the northbound or southbound I-25. This guy comes up behind me (and I'm doing 70 MPH) and waves at me, thinking, I guess, that I'm going to move out of his way. Well, the way I look at it, I'm in the fast lane, OK, going 70 MPH in a 65 MPH zone. I'm going fast, right?! Why does he think he has to go even faster?! What don't these people understand about the meaning of the word LIMIT!? So, he changes lanes, can't get past me right away, because there is other traffic in that lane. I'm not past the Big-I yet. But, finally, he manages to get past me and speeds on by, at least 75 or 80. Does it not register that 75 or 80 is OVER the LIMIT?! I realize that most people do this, but there is no need to go that fast. SLOW DOWN! My husband tells me that you should go fast enough to keep up with the flow of traffic, the speed they're going. But the police are trying to crack down on speeders, so I also try to do my part.

This is one of the reasons I don't like to drive on the freeway, but it's the best route, especially right now. But the speedsters is one reason I don't like to drive it unless I have to. You that know me know I don't get on my soapbox much, but this is another one of those things that will get me going. And don't call me an old fogie! I'm not that old yet.

Now that I've got that off my chest, I need to get some work done before the boss comes in and finds me blogging. Wouldn't that be a disaster, considering where I work! TTFN

2 Comments:

  • At 10:54 AM, Blogger P M Prescott said…

    You tell 'em.

     
  • At 5:56 AM, Blogger grandma1 said…

    The Interstate Highways out here are worse. I made the trip to dallas twice yesterday. Hubby had his 6 months check up with ALZ doc. We had to leave at 6:30 to get there in rush hour traffic by 8:30.

    Went back toJoe's Crab shack for my birthday party. there were 8 of us, biggiest birthday pary I've had in a long time. The cocoanut shrimp were great.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home